Mark My Words: Week 5 XFL Power Rankings
Now, that was an exciting week 4 of the XFL. We finally had a 100 yard rusher but not only one, we had two from the same team! We have a starting quarterback go down with injury and saw another team implode on itself.
- Houston Roughnecks 4-0 (Last Week 1): Another inconsistent game from Houston but more proof they can overcome adversity. The offense struggled a bit but it was good to see this team get other wide receivers involved. This will help open up more lanes and options for Walker. The defense had another big red zone stop at the end of this game and they just keep making big plays in key times. Houston returns home this week to play Seattle.
- St. Louis Battlehawks 3-1 (Last week 3): This team isn’t the most exciting team but they are a complete team. Ta’amu had another great game and we got to see how this team does with a lead and some adversity. The run game struggled a bit but Seattle has a strong defense. St. Louis’s defense struggled once BJ Daniels came in at quarterback but I’ll chalk that up to not having a game plan for him. This week St. Louis travels to DC.
- Dallas Renegades 2-2 (Last week 4) This team needs to ask the XFL to start the game in the second half and save them the energy expended in the first half. Once again this team struggled out of the gate. Landry Jones threw 3 interceptions in the first quarter. Luckily their defense was able to limit the damage and only allowed 15 points off of the turnovers. Once Jones seemed to find a rhythm the worst thing happened. Jones injured the same knee that kept him out week 1. This defense has been the best part of this team and will need to stay on this level while Jones is out. Dallas gets to stay at home and welcomes the Guardians to town.
- Tampa Bay Vipers 1-3 (Last week 7): Another impressive week for this team. This defense has been great all season and did it once again posting a shutout. Finally, this offense was able to help this defense out. The run game came alive in this game with Patrick and Smith both going over 100 yards rushing. The first two in the XFL. Taylor Cornelius played much better this week but still had an interception something this team needs to limit to continue their success. Tampa travels to LA this week for a 9pm Sunday night game.
- DC Defenders 2-2 (Last week 2): I don’t know what is going on with this team but this has been one of the worst road trips for a team. This team has been outscored 64-9 in the past two games. Cardale Jones needs to get his head on straight because he’s been the main issue on this team. He is DC’s best option at quarterback but they may be forced to make a move if this continues. DC has a tough matchup this week at home with St. Louis coming to town.
- New York Guardians 2-2 (Last week 8) This wasn’t a perfect game but it was a much more disciplined game from New York. Luis Perez played mistake free football which was a big need for this team. He’ll need to take more chances and get McKay more involved in this offense. The defense played another great game. New York goes to Dallas this week.
- LA Wildcats 1-3 (Last week 5): Another disappointing week for this team. After last weeks game I thought this team would get on a roll. Josh Johnson didn’t play a good game and this team isn’t built to overcome his bad games. The defense had another good game and will need to continue improving. This team is very frustrating to watch as I believe they have the tools to be a good team but can’t seem to put it all together. This week Tampa comes to town.
- Seattle Dragons 1-3 (Last week 6): I don’t know how Jim Zorn expects his players to understand this offense. Zorn doesn’t even understand this offense. Silvers isn’t the issue on this team but a quarterback change was needed to give this team a little life. Daniels and Silvers need to be used together because Daniels can’t make the throws needed for this team. The defense once again was able to keep this team in the game. This week Seattle travels to Houston.
Also, don’t forget to check out the new audio column from AFNN’s Kevin Drake as he breaks down the upcoming games for week five! The AFNN crew reviews all the news breaking from the XFL every week on XFL Now, Sunday’s at 8PM EST and AFNN’s Michael Washington-Weeks gives his analyst every Monday with his week in review!
Analyst of XFL Now and co-host of AFN Live